You can stream the hour-long movie on Netflix.
Check out the trailer below:
|Hartsel, Colorado. Image courtesy of bgautrea via Flickr|
- located in Hartsel, Colorado
- temporary structure on a trailer with wheels (to get around minimum square footage requirements)
- 124 square feet
- 19' x 7'
- completed in one year
- cost about $26,000
- SolMan solar generator
- composting bucket toilet
- sailboat fireplace
How Tiny is a Tiny House?
|Image courtesy of AtomicLlama via Flickr|
My family has five people. At 200 square feet, our house had better be a padded cell, because that's a formula for insanity! Shafer reports at 52:15 that his family-sized "mansion" is 500 square feet.
What is a Home?
|Image courtesy of anna gutermuth via Flickr|
- a place of attachment
- a place to selectively surround ourselves with our stuff
- not a consolation prize
- a sense of home, a sense of place, a sense of belonging
- a place where you spend time; not empty of family
- = freedom (?)
- where the inside draws you in and the outside draws you out
- helps a person define what they want from life -- their values
- livable, regardless of size
- a self-portrait
- an experiment
- a collection of details that tell who we are and where we belong
- a point of orientation
|Image courtesy of nicolas.boullosa via Flickr|
- 10:57 & 41:20 check out the beautiful little fireplace heaters
- Watching this, it occurs to me that when I build my tiny house I should build a patio or deck first, so that I can have a level workspace.
- Tumbleweed Tiny Houses: ready-made or build-it-yourself
- the erroneous idea that "bettering oneself" is more square footage
- some crave the open space of the country; but by building on it, we change it.
- be comfortable with you you are, because you are may be all you're ever going to be.